[drupal-devel] Beginner using Tortoise CVS seeks help!

Joel Guesclin joel_guesclin at yahoo.fr
Tue Sep 20 22:02:52 UTC 2005

This is the very first time I've tried to contribute
to Drupal, or use a CVS of any description, or use
this list, so please bear with me if I am making
mistakes or asking idiot questions.
I would also like to start by saying how much I
appreciate the Drupal community and all the help I've
had over many months - which is why I would like to
make a very modest contribution of my own.

I've managed to install Tortoise CVS and after a bit
of messing about succeeded in doing a "checkout",
which I think uses the same commands as those in the
Drupal instructions. I've also successfully created a
new directory in the list of modules called "checkout"
(confusingly, this is actually the name of the module
I want to contribute). So I have made a start.
However, there are some first questions I would like
to ask:

1) My success with Tortoise so far has downloaded to
my workstation what looks like the ENTIRE Drupal CVS.
Apparently I could update anything in this - that
makes me very nervous that I might mess up someone
else's work, or Drupal core worse still. Is there any
way to avoid this?

2) Do I need to keep all these directories on my
workstation for the CVS to work?

3) Is there anywhere some documentation for helping a
Tortoise user with Drupal to get started?

4) I seem to have managed to create a "Checkout"
module (tomorrow I will try to create the project
under Drupal) in the CVS, with all the appropriate
files - not sure that I understand tagging and
branching yet, so will have to see if it works. But
every time I load a file to the CVS server I get this
message in the Tortoise window:
initial revision: 1.1
cvs commit: Using deprecated info format strings.
Convert your scripts to use
the new argument format and remove '1's from your info
file format strings.

Do I need to worry about this?

Many thanks to all, and again my apologies if I'm
wasting your time.

JG