[drupal-devel] [feature] storage table

Bèr Kessels drupal-devel at drupal.org
Wed Sep 21 09:06:14 UTC 2005

Issue status update for
http://drupal.org/node/31811
Post a follow up:
http://drupal.org/project/comments/add/31811

 Project:      Drupal
 Version:      cvs
 Component:    base system
 Category:     feature requests

please, do not bother people with more database stuff then is needed.
I love the variable_get /set for its ease of use.  Taking this away
from developers for some possible" performance increase is a big No Go
IMO.

I like the addition of storage_set and get, but not teh extra parameter
in variable set.
I amlso fail too the what this is really about. It simply splits
variables into two tables. Nothnig more, nothing less. thatIMO noly
adds clutter. And sorage_get should have a default value, like
variable_get.

I would say -1 for this. And a +1 for making variable_get smarter.

Bèr Kessels

Previous comments:

Wed, 21 Sep 2005 05:43:15 +0000 : chx

Talk is silver, code is gold, so instead of talking about
http://drupal.org/node/31801 , let's look at some code. Untested patch
and needs a simple DB script, too.

Wed, 21 Sep 2005 06:00:22 +0000 : robertDouglass

I wonder if this will result in a large number of queries that are
related for a module, and if so, whether we should introduce a realm on
the storage table? The advantage would be that we could load all the
storage-variables of one realm together. The reasoning is, if I need
one of the variables I set in my module, I'm likely to need most or all
of them, at which point it seems like it would be more efficient to load
them all. Perhaps the solution, in fact, is to add a realm column to the
variables table? Then we could differentiate between different blocks of
related data and load it into conf as needed.

Wed, 21 Sep 2005 06:01:22 +0000 : robertDouglass

grrrr! Can't edit follow-ups in project module =(