[drupal-devel] A collection of usability problems

Bèr Kessels berdrupal at tiscali.be
Fri Sep 23 16:06:27 UTC 2005

On Friday 23 September 2005 16:48, Dries Buytaert wrote:
> If someone cooks up a patch which changes one or more core themes to
> introduce some visual distinction between admin and user mode, I'd be
> happy to commit that.  The differences don't have to be disruptive.
> Just changing the background color would probably be a small but
> helpful change.

Theres more admin then admin.
this too needs carefull thought, proper testing and proably some discussion
too.

The closest to a solution we came now, is a sections (-alike) system with
copypastable 'profiles'. Think them as advanced regexps like you paste in
your blokcs admin.

Really, making ONLY admin appear different is just plain horrible. It only
confuses people. I have tested this with three clients, all three went like
'WTF is happening? Why is foo different but not bar (node/*/edit),
user/*/edit etc'. And all three were not just confused, they were actually
very very annoyed that they 'got lost' all the time. Carefully selected
profiles help a lot. Thus to make sure that everything a user thinks/feels
like it is administrating, looks like an admin theme. Not just a small part
of what he/she thinks is administrating. A lot of roles might suddenly find
only one or two pages to look different.

Ber 'Big changes need more then a few lines of code' Kessels.