[drupal-devel] Help system redesign

Dries Buytaert dries at buytaert.net
Sun Sep 25 07:53:08 UTC 2005

Thanks for the write-up.

On 25 Sep 2005, at 09:01, Boris Mann wrote:
> 2. XML vs. keys vs. ?
> * the big thing here is support of tools; XML sounds better than a
> completely non-standard colon delimited file
> * is there any way that PO files can be used here as well,
> especially for import/export? would be nice to have just one tool
> needed

I'd leave the XML format out of this for the time being.  We can
export and import help texts using SQL dumps.  If editing
translations can be done using a web interface (either on your local
host or directly on drupal.org), there is no need for editing XML
files and no need for having to master CVS, patch and diff.  Remind
that I've been encouraging the documentation team to write static
DocBook documents (i.e. XML + CVS + patches); they found it too
complex.  This won't be any different, would it?