[drupal-devel] two minor usability issues, introduced recently

Larry Garfield larry at garfieldtech.com
Sun Sep 25 16:48:23 UTC 2005

I fully agree that the split and un-standardized configuration screens are a
major usability pain.  Also along the same lines is that I routinely go to
settings when I should be going to modules, and vice versa.  I'm not sure
which I do more often but I think it's going to modules first when I want to
get to "a module's settings" (as opposed to "the settings for a module").

Currently it's possible to put the extra config screens for a module under the
settings/modulename location, as a LOCAL_TASK.  It's not documented as such,
but I believe it's a good idea in many cases.  They don't get the settings
form magic, but who cares?  It makes more sense than having some
configuration under admin/settings/mymodule/ and some under admin/mymodule
and some under admin/content/content_types/mymodule o_O.

Random thought that I've not done any proper usability testing on yet: What
about renaming "settings" to "system settings", and moving the various module
settings pages under the "modules" menu, with the recommendation that extra
pages go there as well as LOCAL_TASKs?  That way the naming structure maps
better onto "a module's settings".

Thoughts?  Flames?  Reasons why it's dumb? :-)

--
Larry Garfield			AIM: LOLG42
larry at garfieldtech.com		ICQ: 6817012

Jefferson