[drupal-devel] Does the Forms API give Drupal a model view controller architecture

Robert Douglass rob at robshouse.net
Mon Sep 26 06:26:37 UTC 2005

This'll be a fun discussion :-)

I see MVC in many aspects of Drupal, though none are pure
implementations according to the Go4 and Smalltalk/Java purists.

Our controller is a combination of the menu system and the hook system.
The menu system is responsible for all Drupal paths, and the paths are
what determines which functions get called (via the hook system).

Our model is mapped pretty much directly to the relational database
structure. Our main object types are Node, User, Comment with other
types playing supporting roles.

The view is the theme system, of course.

What is interesting about MVC discussions in the context of webapps and
Drupal is that it is really a bit out of place. The pattern is really
the most at home in GUI design for graphical applications where widgets
on the screen know how to render themselves based on well defined state
information that is given to them by the controller (guess these could
be our theme funtions). The widgets communicate a user's actions to the
controller, which can cause state changes in the model, and the
controller communicates model state changes to the widgets. If you look
at it, it is very difficult to write a pure MVC pattern for a web
application, and it is almost as difficult to *not* write some sort of
MVC pattern for the same.

Since becoming involved with Drupal I've commented several times that
I'm glad we *don't* dwell on MVC. It was such a fad in the late '90s.
It's not that I'm against patterns; on the contrary, they are essential
to understanding software and any time I learn a new pattern I become a
better programmer. I just think that calling something MVC doesn't make
it inherently better (bike != mercedes, no matter what Bèr will tell you
;-))

-Robert