[drupal-devel] Admin theme

Robert Douglass rob at robshouse.net
Mon Sep 26 17:18:18 UTC 2005

Bèr Kessels wrote:
> On Monday 26 September 2005 17:49, James Walker wrote:
>
>>Ok... but I thought one of the big pushes for the admin theme camp is
>>that there would be one true admin theme to rule them all...

> we want flexibility above all.

If we shipped with (example here) bluemarine plus the CS admin theme,
configured the way CS is (wrt the paths that constitute the admin
section), I predict that very little work would be done in the future on
the admin theme. Why? Because I find it very good already and don't see
any reason to change it in any way. So in effect, it would become a
standard.

However, Bèr is right, flexibility is the real goal. Someone else might
need a different admin theme, someone else might need none. In those
cases they could delete the admin section and it would revert to
blumarine for the whole site, or change the theme of the admin section,
or make two separate admin sections (this would actually be useful for a
site I'm working on now).

Our usability gain in this area will come from the combination of adding
flexibility, making good default choices, and having a way to revert to
the default choices (important in my opinion, so that people can
experiment freely but always return home).

-R