[drupal-devel] forms should reflect settings.php hardcodes

Chris Cook beerfan at gmail.com
Tue Sep 27 18:45:32 UTC 2005

On 9/27/05, Bèr Kessels <berdrupal at tiscali.be> wrote:
> Yet another minor issue, that can lead to Mayr annoyances.
> when a setting is set in settings.php, for example the site slogan, one can
> still set that slogan in admin/settings.
> That is strange, and very confusing. A 'hosting provider' such as BygHost,
> might choose to set harcoded footers 'supported by BygHost'.
> Users will be very confused why they changed theyr footer, yet the site does
> not change it.
>
> The field of any setting that is harcoded should best dissapear, or otherwise
> be greyed out.
>
> Is that possible with the form API?

I would go one further and suggest that the settings.php file should
be modifiable from a form. I recently set up Gallery2 to play with and
was impressed that the entire configuration was done with a web form.
Perhaps the original gallery had this as well and I don't remember it.

I guess this is off-topic however. There would probably be an
install.php which could update the settings.php but admin pages would
still have to grey out options set there.