[drupal-devel] what do you call a rose?

Karoly Negyesi karoly at negyesi.net
Thu Sep 29 07:20:12 UTC 2005

Hi!

Despite what Shakespeare says about the name of the rose (What’s in a
name? That which we call a rose / By any other name would smell as sweet),
it's still more convinient to call it a rose, simply because (lot) more
people would know what are you talking of.

"free tagging" has 13,300 results while folksonomy has 1,220,000 results
according to googlefight. It's not that "free tagging" is bad, it's just
that we are creating another barrier. Look at taxonomy vs. categories...
it's still more accessible to call it "categories" while the savvy
developer know that "Drupal categories" is another name for a rose called
"taxonomy". I am ready to admit that "free tagging" is not folksonomy, but
again, taxonomy vs. categories. You can say that taxonomy vs. categories
is the camel nose in the tent. I will disagree.

Regards

NK