[drupal-devel] what do you call a rose?

Bèr Kessels berdrupal at tiscali.be
Thu Sep 29 08:21:34 UTC 2005

Really. I can't be ###ed about those people that do not look any further then
their noses length.
If a user thinks drupal is not right for her/him because it has no folksonomy
support, I, personally am very happy to say 'goodbye, and have a nice life'.

If people are confused by names, and only by names, we are doing something
very wrong.
You do not recognise a rose by its name alone. Even if I call my cd-player a
rose, it will never be one. Why? its because I have learned to recognise a
CDplayer. Even if it is a B&O cd player (they dont look like cdplayers at
all). So, how do I then know a B&O cdplayer is one, and not some oddly shaped
bookshelf? ITs because of the links I make, the surrounding parameters i can
link to it: it stands in the window of a cd-player-selling-shop, for example.
Or the fact it carries a play button.

So, to get back to this ever continuing lets call it this and that and we
solve a lot of trouble discussion:
If the only thing one can recognise folksonomy by, is its name, we not only
demand a lot from users who have no clue at all yet (there are a lot who have
never heard folksonomy). But we also assume that the only thing we can make
folksonomy, folksonomy is its name. And that is not the case. If it is, we
have a usability problem, but in this case it is not.
Free tagging, with help, examples, a different UI, etc is really enough for
people to know what its about.

And last, but certainly not least: folksonomy is about community tagging. Free
tagging is not. And we do not (yet) offer community tagging, in the pure
sense of folksonomy.

Ber