[drupal-devel] what do you call a rose?

Morbus Iff morbus at disobey.com
Thu Sep 29 11:23:15 UTC 2005

> "free tagging" has 13,300 results while folksonomy has 1,220,000 results
> according to googlefight. It's not that "free tagging" is bad, it's just
> that we are creating another barrier. Look at taxonomy vs. categories...
> it's still more accessible to call it "categories" while the savvy
> developer know that "Drupal categories" is another name for a rose
> called "taxonomy". I am ready to admit that "free tagging" is not
> folksonomy, but again, taxonomy vs. categories. You can say that
> taxonomy vs. categories is the camel nose in the tent. I will disagree.

There was a long discussion about this in the IRC channel when I was
developing free tagging. In short, it's named "free tagging" because
folksonomy is a cute buzzword that doesn't mean anything. Likewise,
there are so many different kinds of folksonomies (such as delicious,
where any user can tag any content, or Flickr, where you only tag your
own), none of which Drupal currently supports.

And, I disagree with you at a most basic level: anyone who thinks
"categories" is a good idea is, in my opinion, just plain ol' wrong.

--
Morbus Iff ( masochism-oriented recombinant bot (unlisted series) )