[development] nodeapi image concept (request for feedback)

Rowan Kerr rowan at stasis.org
Tue Apr 4 21:48:30 UTC 2006

Darrel O'Pry wrote:
> Still haven't decided whether a full-on node (utilizing existing nodeapi
> and all the weight of node_load) or keeping files as a distinct object
> from nodes so they can have a lighter api and making a file<->node
> relationship module.

I prefer the approach of keeping files separate from nodes, because for
my use-cases files are usually not the actual content of the site..
files are uploaded to be used in other content.

Rich metadata is definitely needed. There are many properties that files
could have that nodes do not... but I suppose that could all be kept in
a separate lookup table keyed on file_id or node_id and it wouldn't
really matter.

Now, the idea of having files separate, and then maybe being able to
"convert" a file to a node would make sense to me in the rare cases that
the file you've uploaded is actually meant to be the content.