[development] nodeapi image concept (request for feedback)

Darrel O'Pry dopry at thing.net
Tue Apr 4 22:44:42 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-04-04 at 15:07 -0700, Boris Mann wrote:
> On 4-Apr-06, at 2:48 PM, Rowan Kerr wrote:
>
> > Darrel O'Pry wrote:
> >> Still haven't decided whether a full-on node (utilizing existing
> >> nodeapi
> >> and all the weight of node_load) or keeping files as a distinct
> >> object
> >> from nodes so they can have a lighter api and making a file<->node
> >> relationship module.
> >
> > I prefer the approach of keeping files separate from nodes, because
> > for my use-cases files are usually not the actual content of the
> > site.. files are uploaded to be used in other content.
> >
> > Rich metadata is definitely needed. There are many properties that
> > files could have that nodes do not... but I suppose that could all
> > be kept in a separate lookup table keyed on file_id or node_id and
> > it wouldn't really matter.
>
> There are clearly two separate use cases (files only vs. files as
> nodes) -- but, we really have to support both nicely.

I would prefer it be transparently, personally. I really dislike the
concept of two different core API's for handling files in different
ways. It makes my ears twitch. My personal opinion is that if a full
scale file as node works for everyone we do it that way. If we NEED a
lighter file handling system, we make a lighter file api, and a wrapper
that allows a file to be a node. So you can access it through the API
directly or as a filenode.  The concept is much like the current split
between upload.module and file.inc, only we sink much of upload into
file.inc (all the file db and os level file handling, and file lifecycle
hooks/callbacks)...  And make the filenode higher level wrapper...

> > Now, the idea of having files separate, and then maybe being able
> > to "convert" a file to a node would make sense to me in the rare
> > cases that the file you've uploaded is actually meant to be the
> > content.
>
> It would be great if people could clearly define and *write down*
> their use case, rather than saying "there is no way I need that".

I need to be able to:
-Mass upload files to a site.
-Manage files through a tradition filebrowser style interface.
-Easily integrate with the common drupal file handle.
-Interact with the file lifecycle. (create derivatives(thumbnails),
detect and store metadata, etc)...
-More fine tuned file permissions.
-Handle large file uploads (ftp interfaces that integrate with drupal,
etc)
-extension specific theming

> We're working on groups.drupal.org for potentially doing special
> interest groups as well as user group meet ups. I think walkah has a
> sample File API group set up there...bug him if you're interested.

If you read this Walkah I'd love to join that SIG.