[development] nodeapi image concept (request for feedback)

Boris Mann boris at bryght.com
Tue Apr 4 22:07:01 UTC 2006

On 4-Apr-06, at 2:48 PM, Rowan Kerr wrote:

> Darrel O'Pry wrote:
>> Still haven't decided whether a full-on node (utilizing existing
>> nodeapi
>> and all the weight of node_load) or keeping files as a distinct
>> object
>> from nodes so they can have a lighter api and making a file<->node
>> relationship module.
>
> I prefer the approach of keeping files separate from nodes, because
> for my use-cases files are usually not the actual content of the
> site.. files are uploaded to be used in other content.
>
> Rich metadata is definitely needed. There are many properties that
> files could have that nodes do not... but I suppose that could all
> be kept in a separate lookup table keyed on file_id or node_id and
> it wouldn't really matter.

There are clearly two separate use cases (files only vs. files as
nodes) -- but, we really have to support both nicely.

> Now, the idea of having files separate, and then maybe being able
> to "convert" a file to a node would make sense to me in the rare
> cases that the file you've uploaded is actually meant to be the
> content.

It would be great if people could clearly define and *write down*
their use case, rather than saying "there is no way I need that".

We're working on groups.drupal.org for potentially doing special
interest groups as well as user group meet ups. I think walkah has a
sample File API group set up there...bug him if you're interested.

Cheers,

--
Boris Mann
Vancouver 778-896-2747 San Francisco 415-367-3595