[development] Installation -- Can A Module "Refuse" To Be Installed?

Neil Drumm drumm at delocalizedham.com
Mon Apr 10 18:02:40 UTC 2006

Nedjo Rogers wrote:
> Based on code Chad (hunmunk) posted, I've drafted a Dependencies module,
> http://drupal.org/node/57071, that tests for dependencies and doesn't
> allow modules to be installed if their dependencies are missing. You
> could include a _dependencies() hook, e.g.

I see dependencies as something that is clearly core functionality once
someone takes on implementing it. I would not want to add another
required core module for dependencies because:

- That would create another line on an already long .../admin/modules
page which most people will simply not want to care about.
- I fear layering on the formapi extensibility will make code more
fragile (what happens when two modules try modifying the same elements)
and harder to understand.

I'd like to see development on this move forward as a patch to
system.module.

What might be "holding back" core dependencies?

First, I do think dependencies will be an inevidable step, so we need to
get it done at some point and do it right.

The potential problem I see is the potential for intricate dependency
trees between contrib modules and putting users in dependency hell.
Imagine what would happen if each ecommerce module were in its own
directory and a dependency system was relied upon.

--
Neil Drumm
http://delocalizedham.com/