[development] Tagging and branching, again.

Chris Johnson chris at tinpixel.com
Thu Apr 13 20:24:24 UTC 2006

Robert Douglass wrote:
> I can't shake the feeling that our contributions repository is groaning
> at the seams and needs some sort of radical re-think. Steven, how can I
> tell if a module is tagged but not branched? I'm quite possibly guilty
> of this. What is the remedy?

It can be kind of obscure and obtuse.

Perhaps the easiest way to see if tags are branches is to use this command:

cvs status -v <filename>

It will show you the tags and matching branches, if any.

Branches always seem to have 3-place version numbers, e.g. x.y.z and revisions
within those branches are 4-place version numbers, e.g. x.y.z.u, but unless
you know where to look and what to look for, you might not notice them and/or
you might be confused as to what is branched where.

..chrisxj