[development] Usability improvement: Clearer language in e-mail sent to new accounts

Steve Dondley sdondley at gmail.com
Wed Apr 19 03:52:21 UTC 2006

I recently created the following text for new accounts on a site I'm
building.  I think makes things a little easier to understand by
breaking the e-mail into sections (formatted with plain text).  It's
especially geared to users who may be new to registering to online
communities.

If people like this, I'll roll it into a patch:

%username,

Please follow these easy instructions and save or
print out this e-mail for future reference.

A site administrator at the %site web site has created an account for you:

username: "%username" (no quotes, with spaces, if any)
password: %password

INSTANTLY LOG IN NOW AND CHANGE YOUR PASSWORD
Log in now by clicking on the following link or by copying and pasting
it into your browser's address bar:

%login_url

IMPORTANT: This link above expires after the first time you use it.
Trying to use this link to log in a second time will not work.

The link above will take you to %edit_uri.  We highly recommend
changing your password here to one that you can remember.  Simply type
in your new password twice into the "Password" fields provided on the
form and then click "Submit" at the very bottom of the page. See the
tips at the bottom of this e-mail for tips on choosing a secure
password.

EDIT YOUR ACCOUNT SETTINGS
==========================
Other settings are available %edit_uri that allow you to contol your
identity and how you interact with our online community.  To help
establish yourself, we strongly encourage you to look over these
options and change them as you see fit.  You can always change them
later at any time.

HOW TO LOG IN LATER
===================
To log in to the site at any time in the future, visit %login_uri to
log in.  There you will type in your username and password.

Please bookmark this login page in your browser for quick reference.

FORGOT YOUR USERNAME OR PASSWORD?
=================================
Don't panic. It's painless to get another one by visiting %login_uri
and following the instructions on the "request new password" link.

NOTE: The only way to recover from a lost password is to have a new
password assigned to you.  No person, not even the person who controls
the site, has the ability to look up your old password.  It is
encrypted and not readable by humans.

THANKS!
=======
We thank you for helping build the power fo working people!

--  %site team

SECURE PASSWORD TIPS: Passwords should be at least 6 characters in
length, contain no words you'd find in a dictionary, and be a mix of
uppercase, lowercase, numbers and even punctuation marks.

--
Dondley Communications
http://www.dondleycommunications.com

Communicate or Die: American Labor Unions and the Internet
http://www.communicateordie.com