[development] better autocompletion?

Morbus Iff morbus at disobey.com
Wed Apr 19 20:30:58 UTC 2006

We have to argue about this publically?

>> Get an email client that understands boundary delimiters. Try:
>
> Even though you were not replying to me, my email client is perfectly
> capable of handling URLs, yet Jeremy's original is also displayed
> incorrectly for me, with the final ")" being made part of the URL.

Then I say the same to you. It doesn't take a leap of faith for an email
client to a) ignore ending punction of a URL (such as a period or
comma), b) treat the previous and last character of a URL as erroneous,
if they're of the same pair type. My email client (Thunderbird),
displayed the () enclosed URL properly.

> What you should be doing is reminding the OP, Jeremy, of how to include a
> URL with a recognized standard __url delimiter__, which is <  and  >

I will heartily agree that <> is quite commonly used. I will need to be
convinced that it is any more important than other delimiter, or that
its popularity is a strong enough argument for using it alone. In RFC
2396, we see the following, which indicates the standard of exactly the
amount of plausible delimiters (and, yes, I will concede that () is not
one of them):

    The angle-bracket "<" and ">" and double-quote (") characters are
    excluded because they are often used as the delimiters around URI in
    text documents and protocol fields.  ...

      delims      = "<" | ">" | "#" | "%" | <">

    Other characters are excluded because gateways and other transport
    agents are known to sometimes modify such characters, or they are
    used as delimiters.

      unwise      = "{" | "}" | "|" | "\" | "^" | "[" | "]" | "`"

Further down in Appendix E, we see the side you're arguing, but
nothing purely indicated that <> is the only url delimiter available
(emphasis on "variety of ways"):

    In practice, URI are delimited in a variety of ways, but usually
    within double-quotes "http://test.com/", angle brackets
    <http://test.com/>, or just using whitespace. ...

    Using <> angle brackets around each URI is especially
    recommended as a delimiting style for URI that contain whitespace.

    For robustness, software that accepts user-typed URI should attempt
    to recognize and strip both delimiters and embedded whitespace.

The last paragraph, however, is unclear on whether "delimiters" refers
to the previously quoted text (of <>#%", of which I would suggest it
doesn't refer to, due to the URI fragment issue).

> Looks like your javascript is using 'overlib.js'.
 > That's a great little package.

You are incorrect. It's not using overlib, and I
explicitly did not want to use overlib because:

  * It's old and bloated.

  * It does lots of trickery for browsers that I have no intentions
    of supporting anymore (ancient Netscapes, IEs, etc., etc.).

  * All styling is done through function parameters, not CSS.

--
Morbus Iff ( you are nothing without your robot car, NOTHING! )
O'Reilly Author, Weblog, Cook: http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/au/779