[development] Some issues and their fixes with Drupal 4.6.6 and PostgreSQL

Gary (Lists) listout at accidentaltechie.org
Thu Apr 20 15:01:30 UTC 2006

"Gerhard Killesreiter" wrote:

> I sincerely hope that people finally get this message.

One more thing, Mr. Drupal, before I unsub here (at your request)...

I think the message that you are communicating here is quite counter to any
spirit of community, which is what you claim that you hope to foster (a
community of open-source contributors.)

You obviously are a young guy (I'm not, so much) and that's fine.  But, in
the actual real world, in order to encourage contribution, there is a
requirement that you create the conditions for contribution.  Those
conditions include the possibility of dissent.

So far, as I've been subscribed to these lists for only a short time, what
I've seen is a group of folks who believe they "are" Drupal.  (And, of
course, a confused guy -- me -- who doesn't understand how things like
Documentation got left by the wayside.)

To my ears, your reply is indicative of youth, fear and self-doubt.

We have made no money from Drupal. In fact, quite the opposite.  The
possibility that we spotted has turned into a morass of lost time, wasted
effort and rude-boy politics.  That's our fault, not yours.

It takes time to find, fix and prepare a distributed patch. It's pretty easy
to hack away and get something working, but that's not a patch.  That takes
a little more time. [1]

I doubt very seriously that your attitude is inspiring to anyone.

The mixed message is this:

    "Contribute and then shut up."

That's a hard sell.

But hey, it's your game.
--
Gary

[1] And from the plethora of submitted patches marked 'Fixed' or
'Committed', when they actually are not fixed or committed, it's no wonder
why folks don't take the time to prepare something that is publicly
distributable -- why bother is the message.

One only has to take a stroll through the Drupal website to read the level
of general frustration.  Yet, it's easy to dismiss that as "well, they don't
write code, so screw them."  The problem with that is you build a cumulative
tide of discontent.

A tide that I see you are surfing with glee.