5.0 and or 4.8 (was Re: [development] Drupal x.x.0 freeze date)

Larry Garfield larry at garfieldtech.com
Sun Apr 30 17:54:03 UTC 2006

I am going to partially agree.

4.7 has been in theoretical feature freeze for something like 6 months.  It
wasn't always enforced that well, but in theory it was. :-)  That means
there's a backlog of smaller features or niceties that were put aside in
order to not break things even more than FAPI did.  I know I have 3-4 sitting
in the patch queue marked postponed that I've been holding off on for that
reason.

Saying that 4.7+ will be a smaller "polish and flesh out" release is a good
idea.  It gives us a chance to take the now (mostly) stable FAPI and flesh it
out, get in lots of the convenience features that have been held back
recently, debug some more, and so forth, and make 4.8 a really solid,
complete, stable, if not-earthshattering-after-4.7 release.  Smaller API
changes are OK (they always happen), but ground-shaking changes should be put
off.

It's important to have that really solid and polished release out there,
because you know that the big stuff that comes after it is going to take as
long as FAPI did to stabilize.  That means it will be "out there" for a LONG
time.

I think of it sort of like the KDE 4 roadmap, honestly.  KDE 3.5 was
deliberately a conservative "polish and perfect the 3.x series" release,
because they knew that 4.0 was going to break stuff, take a year or more to
come out, and then another year before many distros get over their
x.0-release phobia.  That's a good, pragmatic plan, and I see good reason to
emulate it.

I don't know that we need a separate 5.0 branch right now, though.  Really big
changes should be made in their own private branches (that's what branching
is for), or perhaps even their own separate repositories as FAPI was.
They're going to take a while.  If the 4.8 cycle is short, then they wouldn't
need to go into a mainline tree until after the 4.8 freeze anyway.  And, of
course, we could use the manpower on polishing 4.8.

There would need to be some sort of coordination betwen the different
big-changes groups to make sure they all are breaking things in the same way,
but that's what a release manager is for: to make sure that the
everything-is-cck group and the OO-theming group and the
all-sql-is-autogenerated group are not pulling in 4 different directions.

As for codenames, the 4.7/5.0 question is why they exist. :-)  I'm game.

--
Larry Garfield			AIM: LOLG42
larry at garfieldtech.com		ICQ: 6817012

Jefferson