5.0 and or 4.8 (was Re: [development] Drupal x.x.0 freeze date)

Bèr Kessels ber at webschuur.com
Sun Apr 30 22:24:43 UTC 2006

Op zondag 30 april 2006 19:54, schreef Larry Garfield:
> I don't know that we need a separate 5.0 branch right now, though.  Really
> big changes should be made in their own private branches (that's what
> branching is for), or perhaps even their own separate repositories as FAPI
> was. They're going to take a while.  If the 4.8 cycle is short, then they
> wouldn't need to go into a mainline tree until after the 4.8 freeze anyway.
>  And, of course, we could use the manpower on polishing 4.8.

Having a dedicated, and well-defined 4.7, as well as several branches aimnig
at "some distant" release sounds like an even better plan then a single 5.0
branch.

CVS is not ready for this, though, but we should certainly not hold ourselves
back because our tools are bnot able to cope with our ideas :)

Let us not get into a CVS vs. XYZ fight right now, but focus on the
discussion.

Having several brancheseach with their onwbn group and goal is a brillant
plan. Theme overhauls do not stand in the way of CCK. A i18n in core will not
hold back any development on big nodeapi improvments and so on.

So; after I read this post by Larry, I think aiming for a 5.0 is not a good
idea after all. But aiming for a 4.7-without-Uncastrated-male-cattle-poop
still is a good idea. A,nd having a place, or more places, to put all that
Uncastrated-male-cattle-poop is a good idea too, especially if those can be
placed in a lot of seperate places.
--
 [ Bèr Kessels | Drupal services www.webschuur.com ]

Heeft het gebruik van Sympal gevolgen voor de eigendomsrechten van het
gepubliceerde materiaal?:

http://help.sympal.nl/heeft_het_gebruik_van_sympal_gevolgen_voor_de_eigendomsrechten_van_het_gepubliceerde_materiaal