[development] Q: CVS tags best practice

Gerhard Killesreiter gerhard at killesreiter.de
Sun Apr 30 21:56:01 UTC 2006

Dave Cohen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Now that Drupal has branched DRUPAL-4-7 (a good thing), I have a question
> about how to best keep my sites up to date.
>
> Let's say I've checked out my Drupal with:
>
> $ cvs -z6 -d:pserver:anonymous:anonymous at cvs.drupal.org:/cvs/drupal \
> checkout drupal
>
> Then in my modules directory, I've checked out one or more modules:
>
> $ cvs -z6 -d:pserver:anonymous:anonymous at cvs.Drupal.org:/cvs/drupal-contrib \
> checkout contributions/modules/ecommerce drupal/modules/ecommerce

I usually prefer to have a separate complete contrib checkout (actually
one for each branch) and to link to the modules I need (ln -s
/path/to/contrib/cvs/modules/mymodule from the modules subdir should do it).

> Now that Drupal has the DRUPAL-4-7 tag, I want to go into drupal/ and run:
>
> $ cvs update -dP -r DRUPAL-4-7
>
> The trouble is, this deletes the ecommerce module, and any other module I've
> checked out that does not have the DRUPAL-4-7 branch.

Wouldn't happen if you'd use my aproach :p

> There was a post not long where someone had tagged (not branched) their module
> has DRUPAL-4-7.  This caused confusion and was deemed a bad thing.  I now

Right. Still is.

> think that is a very smart thing, and all modules should have that tag until
> they see fit to branch (which should be now, since drupal has branched).  If
> every module had the tag, it would solve my problem.  But is there a better
> way?

Yes, see above.

> I'm no CVS expert.  Is there a trick to get it to use the DRUPAL-4-7 tag only
> where it exists, and the HEAD tag otherwise?

Don't think so.

> Thanks in advance for not responding "svn is so much better than cvs" or "bz
> is so much better than svn" or "we wouldn't have this problem if we used my
> cousin Sally's revision control system".  I know cousin Sally's RCS is better
> than CVS, but until drupal.org uses it, I don't care.  ;)

Right you are. I doubt it will ever change, btw. And no I am not going
to discuss this.

Cheers,
    Gerhard