[development] Re: Database queries on drupal.org

Ken Rickard agentrickard at gmail.com
Tue Aug 1 17:00:28 UTC 2006

I ran a set of crude benchmarking tests on my path_alias lookup patch.  The
results are reported here:

http://drupal.org/node/75976

With the full test results attached here:

http://drupal.org/files/issues/benchmark.txt

While the number of database queries drops substantially, the actual
processing time goes up, as both Requests per Second and Transfer Rate drop
after the patch is applied.

This may be due to the placement of variable_get() in the patch, but more
likely, it seems that using the PHP-based check (which requires array
handling) just shifts the load from the database to memory.

I'd be interested to see other (more technically expert) people try this
patch and test it to see if the results are the same.

- Ken Rickard
agentrickard