[development] LinksDB vs. Links

Khalid B kb at 2bits.com
Wed Aug 2 19:41:49 UTC 2006

> I hereby invite and authorize everybody to nitpick on any code I have
> ever written, be it in private or public. Preferably by attaching a
> patch file which points out my errors.
>
> There were times I'd have paid a lot of money to get a free lecture like
> Morbus provided.

So true.

But the motivation and/or tone for doing so was not constructive, but
rather condascending.

> >  And that
> > means it just degenerates into a pissing contest of finding faults with
> > each other.  That's not a productive use of time, in my view.
>
> Well, our views could not be more different. Morbus' infuriated letter
> has resulted in a better module whereas all the bickering by other
> people has only temporarily filled my inbox.

You only looked at one aspect of it. I agree that this was useful, and
therefore started the other thread on code reviews and certified modules.

But how about other intangibles like:

- The message this sends to new comers? (You will be torn to death)
- The community reputation as a whole? (No one stood up and tried to
keep the loud/impolite people in check)

We have to think beyond "just code" ...