[development] RFC: project releases as nodes
drupal at dwwright.net
Wed Aug 2 00:23:44 UTC 2006
in my continuing efforts to get real release versions for contrib
modules and my work to split all the issue tracking functionality
out of the project module, i came upon what i believe is a really
"make releases into real nodes?"
this would solve *so* many problems, and provide so much flexibility
for how to present releases. a summary of some of the cool stuff
we'd basically get for free or for very little work:
- RSS feed for new releases (something Heine wants for security
announcements in contrib)
- ability to unpublish releases
- ability to promote a release (w/ title and release notes) to the
front page of your site (e.g. when drupal 4.8.0/5.0.0 comes out)
- block of "most recent releases" is trivial
- releases show up in "recent posts" listing for free
- taxonomies that apply to releases
- other contrib modules (via hook_form_alter() and hook_nodeapi())
could extend the base release node type to add other cool
functionality or site-specific customizations.
- could easily enable file attachments on release nodes for sites
that want to upload releases that way (instead of the wonky hard-
coded "releases" directory behavior now)
- comments on releases?
- cool themeing stuff?
- node privacy/ACLs on releases?
- views-based display of releases?
the only possible downside i can see is that it would potentially
generate a lot of nodes, though i'm guessing nothing like the rate of
new forum posts, for example. note, there would NOT be a whole new
release node for each nightly development tarball "release". see my
comments in #75053 for more thoughts on this.
anyone have any strong objections? any other opinions or bright
ideas? you have about a day or two to comment in http://drupal.org/
node/75053. after that, merlin and i are plowing onward, full steam
More information about the development