[development] RFC: project releases as nodes

Derek Wright drupal at dwwright.net
Wed Aug 2 00:23:44 UTC 2006

in my continuing efforts to get real release versions for contrib
modules[1] and my work to split all the issue tracking functionality
out of the project module[2], i came upon what i believe is a really
good idea:

http://drupal.org/node/75053
"make releases into real nodes?"

this would solve *so* many problems, and provide so much flexibility
for how to present releases.  a summary of some of the cool stuff
we'd basically get for free or for very little work:

- RSS feed for new releases (something Heine wants for security
announcements in contrib)
- ability to unpublish releases
- ability to promote a release (w/ title and release notes) to the
front page of your site (e.g. when drupal 4.8.0/5.0.0 comes out)
- block of "most recent releases" is trivial
- releases show up in "recent posts" listing for free
- taxonomies that apply to releases
- other contrib modules (via hook_form_alter() and hook_nodeapi())
could extend the base release node type to add other cool
functionality or site-specific customizations.
- could easily enable file attachments on release nodes for sites
that want to upload releases that way (instead of the wonky hard-
coded "releases" directory behavior now)
- comments on releases?
- cool themeing stuff?
- node privacy/ACLs on releases?
- views-based display of releases?

the only possible downside i can see is that it would potentially
generate a lot of nodes, though i'm guessing nothing like the rate of
new forum posts, for example.  note, there would NOT be a whole new
release node for each nightly development tarball "release".  see my
comments in #75053 for more thoughts on this.

anyone have any strong objections?  any other opinions or bright
ideas?  you have about a day or two to comment in http://drupal.org/
node/75053.  after that, merlin and i are plowing onward, full steam
ahead. ;)

thanks,
-derek (dww)

[1] http://drupal.org/node/58066