[development] LinksDB vs. Links

Matthew Jenkins mattj at inty.net
Wed Aug 2 15:50:27 UTC 2006

On 2 Aug 2006, at 16:41, Morbus Iff wrote:

>>>  http://desktoppub.about.com/cs/typespacing/a/onetwospaces.htm
>>>  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Full_stop#Spacing_after_full_stop
>> Both american sites and meaningless to UK english grammar, which
>> states that after a full stop you have 2 spaces.
>
> Please give me a reference from a well-respected UK grammar book.
> Until them, you're non-authoritative and the unspoken Drupal style
> remains (which is one space after sentences). (Actually, either way,
> Drupal style is one space after sentences, so you'd have to conform to
> that anyways to satisfy the Drupal jihadists.)
>
> There's a whole discussion about this particular issue at
>
>   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_talk:
>     Manual_of_Style_archive_(spaces_after_a_full_stop/period)

I never trust wikis to be even vaguely accurate.

> in which they suggest it's not a UK vs. US thing at all (though, I
> could find nothing authoritative in here that'd satisfy your UK
> demands). More at
> http://blogs.warwick.ac.uk/andrewingram/entry/two_spaces_after, which
> loosely quotes Lynne Truss' book EAT, SHOOTS & LEAVES as "typists were
> taught to leave two– or even three–space gaps after a full stop until
> quite recently. Also, semi–colons and colons used to have a space
> preceding them and two spaces after." I have the book, but was too
> lazy to find you an exact page reference for that

Nor blogs

> The Department of Chemistry at Oxford suggests otherwise too:
>
>  http://www.chem.ox.ac.uk/course/word/msword-21.html

What do chemists know? ;)

> And some magazine I know nothing about suggests the same:
>
>  http://www.pisc.org.uk/
>
> But anyways, I'm all for authoritative sources. What's the name of a
> respected guide in your part of the world? Over here, we have Fowlers
> and the Chicago Manual of Style.
>
> (And note: don't think I'm picking on you over this.
> Dare to ask m3vrck about the ellipsis debacle!).

What difference does it make anyway since browsers compress multiple
spaces down into one unless they are hard spaces or non-breaking
spaces?

Information in this electronic mail is confidential and may be legally privileged. It is intended solely for the addressee. Access to this mail by anyone else is unauthorised. If you are not the intended recipient any use, disclosure, copying or distribution of this message is prohibited and may be unlawful. When addressed to our customers, any information contained in this message is subject to intY's Terms & Conditions. Please rely on your own virus scanning and procedures with regard to any attachments to this message.

Scanned by MailDefender - managed email security from intY - www.maildefender.net