[development] Patching settings.php

Jeremy Epstein jazepstein at gmail.com
Thu Aug 3 03:04:54 UTC 2006

Hi guys,

I've noticed that the past 2 commits to settings.php were both made
inadvertently, due to someone including a settings.php $db_url change
in their patch by mistake. As you can see, both of these commits had
to be reverted:

http://drupal.org/cvs?file=/sites/default/settings.php

Can I request that all of the patch authors among us (including
myself) _please_ check your patch files, and that you ensure that
there are no custom settings.php $db_url (or other) changes that have
slipped into your patch. I think that the primary responsibility for
this should lie with patch authors. However, it would be good if the
core committers could be on the lookout for accidental settings.php
changes in patches as well.

If anyone has any tips for excluding settings.php from a patch, that
would be greatly appreciated. Personally, I just run "cvs diff -u >
foo.patch" from the root Drupal install dir, and then manually edit
the file to remove the settings.php cruft. I'm sure there's a better
way to do it. ;-)

The biggest problem that I have with accidental settings.php changes,
is that running "cvs up -dP" after such a change results in CVS
complaining about a conflict/merge in settings.php, even though the
change was reverted. So let's try and keep _intentional_ settings.php
changes to a minimum (which we seem to be doing quite well at), and
keep _accidental_ settings.php changes to zero.

Thanks,

Jaza.