[development] Patching settings.php

Jeff Eaton jeff at viapositiva.net
Fri Aug 4 01:00:59 UTC 2006

Gerhard Killesreiter wrote:
> We would use the url that the admin uses. That's apparently the one
that
> he expects others to use too. I've been working on the CS installer,
and
>   it did it this way. Kieran, did anybody complain about this?

You're right; I'm not sure what I was thinking.

Moshe wrote:
> this strikes me as getting too smart for our own good. using the
> host name, or worse, and host name + path, makes the install less
portable.
> it also complicates docs and training because everyone's settings.php
will
> be in a different place by default.

One of the problems is that right now, it's painfully difficult to
install a multisite. Because we overwrite settings.php, BUT we require a
pristine copy for the installer to work correctly, AND we no longer
include sql files for manual installation, it's no longer possible to
simply copy sites/default and go. You have to copy it, delete
settings.php, download a new copy from drupal.org, copy IT over, THEN
run the installer on your new domain.

--Jeff