[development] Patching settings.php

Khalid B kb at 2bits.com
Fri Aug 4 01:18:27 UTC 2006

@Gerhard

I like the idea of using the host the admin used. This is the safest
and probably 'correctest' bet ...

@Moshe

Installing to default is good, until you decide to go to multi site,
like I did from 4.6 to 4.7. NOW you have unportabe data, since
all the images and files are now in sites/example.com/files and
not in sites/default/files.

I had to manually edit many nodes to change the paths for
images and files.

The reverse is seemless though: if a sites outgrows the current
multisite install, and I decide to go from sites/example.com/files
to a single site, everything is where it is and it is more portable
that way.

@Neil
I also found out the same: if you copy the default settings.php
to example.com/settings.php and point your browser to the
url http://example.com, then install.php will be called and it
works the same way as if on default/settings.php

Very convenient ...

@Jeff
Substitute example.com with www.example.com above :-)