[development] The www-subdomain (WAS: Re: Patching settings.php)

Morbus Iff morbus at disobey.com
Fri Aug 4 12:57:12 UTC 2006

>> Personally I'm with Freso - I see no point in the www and feel that
>> the site should silently drop it if a user inserts it (much like

And, for what it's worth, your beloved leader
suggests tolerance, not blanket redirecting (though,
yes, they refer to their "ideal" situation as a redirect):

   To that end, we make the modest proposal that
   website makers configure their main sites to be
   accessible by domain.com as well as
   www.domain.com. ... However, any site that takes
   in traffic one way or the other on both the www
   host and the bare domain are acceptable here.
   ... We understand that this sort of
   configuration is not appropriate for every
   website. For example, a domain may require the
   webserver to be stored on a different machine
   than the domain root server. ... In fact,
   several websites choose to forward traffic from
   domain.com to www.domain.com for branding
   reasons and that's just fine with us. As long as
   they don't simply block all HTTP traffic on the
   bare domain name, they're OK in our book.

--
Morbus Iff ( the power of grayskull compels you! )