[development] CCK status?

Evan Leeson evan at blurt.info
Fri Aug 4 16:33:15 UTC 2006

On Aug 4, 2006, at 6:50 AM, Gerhard Killesreiter wrote:

> Ray Zimmerman wrote:
>>>
>>> chx, webchick, Jaza, Eaton, mathieu, and myself have all taken turns
>>> working on this. (And of course, all the people that have helped out
>>> previously.) JonBob has made commits to the contributions version as
>>> recently as 3 days ago.
>>>
>>> http://drupal.org/node/62340 is what needs review.
>> Right, I was aware of all of this. I was referring more to the
>> development of the contrib module for 4.7 (things like [1], [2],
>> [3], [4]). It's just that over the past several months I've
>> noticed a number of threads where it appeared folks were waiting
>> for JonBob's blessing to move forward and I never saw his
>> response. Maybe he's communicated with them on IRC or something.
>
> I am kind of in the same boat. For a project of mine I need to
> decide whether to go with cck or to write my own node module.
>
> I would prefer to go with cck as I see a bigger benefit to Drupal
> as a whole, but if development does not seem to be viable, I might
> have to ditch the plan.

I think a lot of people would be very interested to know if CCK is
not viable/tanking/going by the wayside, etc. It is being pretty
heavily promoted on drupal.org and elsewhere (me included) for the
obvious advantages it offers. But if there are serious roadblocks to
its future development, I see a situation developing where a lot of
people might have upgrade nightmares or rapidly obsolete applications.

I'm very happy to be labeled an alarmist if there is no issue, but
reading Gerhard's comments here, I can't help but be concerned.

evan