[development] CCK status?

Boris Mann boris at bryght.com
Fri Aug 4 16:44:52 UTC 2006

On 4-Aug-06, at 9:33 AM, Evan Leeson wrote:

> On Aug 4, 2006, at 6:50 AM, Gerhard Killesreiter wrote:
>
>> Ray Zimmerman wrote:

>>> Right, I was aware of all of this. I was referring more to the
>>> development of the contrib module for 4.7 (things like [1], [2],
>>> [3], [4]). It's just that over the past several months I've
>>> noticed a number of threads where it appeared folks were waiting
>>> for JonBob's blessing to move forward and I never saw his
>>> response. Maybe he's communicated with them on IRC or something.
>>
>> I am kind of in the same boat. For a project of mine I need to
>> decide whether to go with cck or to write my own node module.
>>
>> I would prefer to go with cck as I see a bigger benefit to Drupal
>> as a whole, but if development does not seem to be viable, I might
>> have to ditch the plan.
>>

> I think a lot of people would be very interested to know if CCK is
> not viable/tanking/going by the wayside, etc. It is being pretty
> heavily promoted on drupal.org and elsewhere (me included) for the
> obvious advantages it offers. But if there are serious roadblocks
> to its future development, I see a situation developing where a lot
> of people might have upgrade nightmares or rapidly obsolete
> applications.
>
> I'm very happy to be labeled an alarmist if there is no issue, but
> reading Gerhard's comments here, I can't help but be concerned.

As with EVERYTHING on Drupal.org....do your homework. Look at
commits, look at issue queue, etc.

Oh, and of course, for all those "panicking" -- you are, of course,
contributing in some way to CCK? Documentation, tutorials,
development, funding? If anyone has specific items they want to see,
a bounty might be appropriate.

If JonBob doesn't have the time to be the one gateway through which
all development passes, I suggest speaking with him about nominating
a second maintainer.

-- Boris