[development] The www-subdomain (WAS: Re: Patching settings.php)

Frederik 'Freso' S. Olesen freso.dk at gmail.com
Fri Aug 4 16:40:46 UTC 2006

2006/8/4, Earl Miles <merlin at logrus.com>:
<zap>
>Why does the WWW service get promoted directly to example.com?

No. The HTTP service gets promoted directly to example.com:80. Equally
so would example:70 reach the Gopher service, example.com:119 would be
news/NNTP service, and so on.

>To save people from typing www. a bunch? Because 'www.' costs a lot of
>money in advertising? C'mon. The reasons that guy gives are utterly
>spurious. These are hardly valid.

I never type www unless I know from experience that I have to.
Personally, I don't mind as much if people use www.domain, as long as
domain:80 will redirect there.
I also prefer only having to enter domain for other services (ie., not
mail.domain or jabber.domain or what have you), relying on ports to
have the destination server serve me the proper content.

--
Frederik 'Freso' S. Olesen <http://freso.dk/>