[development] links best practices (was Re: internal link filter ...)

Larry Garfield larry at garfieldtech.com
Sat Aug 5 06:41:21 UTC 2006

On Saturday 05 August 2006 00:45, Alberto Lusiani wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> On 8/5/06, Morbus Iff <morbus at disobey.com> wrote:
> > [...]
> > Actually, for what it's worth, we should NOT use internal:// or *any*
> > foo:// patterns. Doing so, even internally, is a creation of what
> > appears to be a new protocol, even though it's actually not. We should
> > instead create a new URN, such as internal:node/4. Apple, in the past
> > two years or so, I think, got flamed for using webcal:// for it's iCal
> > application, where webcal was merely a file format, and not a protocol.
>
> I agree.  I would propose to use some wiki convention, like wikipedia's
> [[node label | internal:node/1]].

I will leave the question of internal: vs. internal:// to people who are more
pedantic than I (which is quite a feat, believe me <g>), but please let us
not go down the wiki path.  I despite wikis and everything about them,
primarily due to their insistence on creating a completely new obscure markup
syntax that does nothing but render down to HTML anyway.  If you're going to
write markup that ends up as HTML, WHY learn yet another syntax instead of
just using what already works and is more self-descriptive and
self-documenting anyway (HTML)?

> By the way, although I am listening since some time, this is the first
> message I post.   I am using Drupal for a web site about a conference
> (http://www.pi.infn.it/congressi/tau06/).  I did some php coding for
> it, a theme and
> something that could become a conference module.
>
> In that web site I use the wiki module, where one can use [label |
> http:?q=node] for internal links.  This would break if Drupal changes the
> ?q= notation.
>
> Greetings,

Welcome to Drupal, and don't mine the egos. :-)  None of it's personal; we
just care a great deal about what we do, and all believe we're right.  It is
the way of things.

--
Larry Garfield			AIM: LOLG42
larry at garfieldtech.com		ICQ: 6817012