[development] Drupal administration survey draft based on 10 interviews

Boris Mann boris at bryght.com
Wed Aug 9 19:12:30 UTC 2006

On 9-Aug-06, at 11:48 AM, Kieran Lal wrote:

> On Aug 9, 2006, at 10:00 AM, Dries Buytaert wrote:
>
>> Thanks for doing this work, Kieran!  It's important.  I do have
>> some questions though:
>>
>> On 09 Aug 2006, at 04:54, Kieran Lal wrote:
>>> 	Non-technical user developing community or social change web
>>> site forced to become "accidental technologist"
>>
>> Does it matter what the user is developing?  Maybe the following
>> is sufficient:
>>
>>   Non-technical user forced to become "accidental technologist"
>
> Yes it matters a lot.  If you want to build an online community or
> social change website you are going to end up being recommended to
> use Drupal.  Drupal's community knowledge extends beyond just CMS
> development but is now a expert community in online community
> building and social change websites.   This is important to know
> because this growing user base has certain expectations and
> goals.   This was clear from the interviews, maybe 4+/10 people
> fell into this category.  We need to get a sense of how many Drupal
> sites are falling into this domain.

So...then add that as another category. You may be an accidental
technologist building things for a death metal band. I suspect a lot
of the folks you interact with fall into the social change
category...and I agree it is important to capture.

However, another huge category is "HTML Website developer adopting a
CMS platform" or "Process consultant learning to us collaborative
tools" (the former is more technical in terms of web stuff, the
latter is less technical).

>> I don't understand how this answers above question.  Whether the
>> Drupal community innovates shouldn't be of concern to users of,
>> say, twit.tv.
>
> Many communities are limited by the commercial constraints of their
> community tools.  For example, yahoo groups feature set hasn't
> changed much in 5 years.  Users know that with Drupal they get more
> features faster to better meet their needs.  For commercial
> communities like Twit this doesn't make much of a difference.  But
> for more grassroots communities we are seeing a tipping point. "Go
> with Drupal they have the best and newest community stuff! "

And not just community stuff. Consultants (especially non-developer
consultants) can pick Drupal and become experts at the modules
available...the availability of configurable, themeable, well-written
modules that perform a wide variety of things means they can deliver
more functional websites at lower cost. Picking Drupal means always
having well-written cutting edge options available. Client: "Hey, I
heard new standard X came out...can we do that?" Consultant: "Why
yes, the pants module implemented standard X just last week!"

-- Boris