[development] Drupal administration survey draft based on 10 interviews

Kieran Lal kieran at civicspacelabs.org
Wed Aug 9 19:25:09 UTC 2006

>> Yes it matters a lot.  If you want to build an online community or
>> social change website you are going to end up being recommended to
>> use Drupal.  Drupal's community knowledge extends beyond just CMS
>> development but is now a expert community in online community
>> building and social change websites.   This is important to know
>> because this growing user base has certain expectations and
>> goals.   This was clear from the interviews, maybe 4+/10 people
>> fell into this category.  We need to get a sense of how many
>> Drupal sites are falling into this domain.
>
> So...then add that as another category. You may be an accidental
> technologist building things for a death metal band. I suspect a
> lot of the folks you interact with fall into the social change
> category...and I agree it is important to capture.

Most of the folks were random people plucked out of #drupal-support
or acquaintances of people in #drupal.  I explicitly tried to not
sample the CivicSpace folks and these results still came through.

> However, another huge category is "HTML Website developer adopting
> a CMS platform" or "Process consultant learning to us collaborative
> tools" (the former is more technical in terms of web stuff, the
> latter is less technical).

Ok.  Let me think about how to introduce that into the self
description responses.  I don't want to force stuff into the survey,
that didn't come out in the interviews.  But then this is more art
than science and I do want public review to make sure the results
make sense.

Thanks for the feedback.

Kieran