[development] save as draft feature

Gary Feldman dpal_gaf_devel at marsdome.com
Thu Aug 10 15:07:14 UTC 2006

justin randell wrote:
> hi all,
>
> i'm after feedback on exactly what a "save revision as draft"[1]
> feature should look like in drupal.
>
> here are some initial thoughts:
Do you have initial user stories to motivate this?  In other words,
first put it into a user-based context.  One obvious user story is "Joe
User is writing a node but needs to break to pick up his kids.  So he
wants it saved, but doesn't even want it put into the moderation queue,
since he knows it's not ready."  I can't think of any off the top of my
head that would motivate turning an existing revision into a draft, but
perhaps you have one in mind.
> 5. add a draft id column to the node table - one draft per node. the
> value in this column would correspond to the vid of the row in the
> node_revisions table for the draft. a value of 0 would represent 'no
> draft' for a node
This is an implementation strategy, not a feature description, and hence
belongs in some other step of this design process.
> 6. add a 'draft' tab to the node view, alongside the 'view' and 'edit'
> tabs
What would this do?
> 7. add some draft node permissions, so a user can be allowed to edit a
> node's draft without effecting live content
The two choices that come to mind are a) only the person who created the
draft is expected to edit it; b) anyone with permission to edit the node
has permission to edit a draft of the node.  Are there other cases?  Do
these two cases require an additional permission?

Gary

PS "effect" is rarely correct as a verb.  So the easy rule, avoiding the
uncommon cases, is that "affect" is the verb, "effect" is the noun.