[development] What is a contribution?

Khalid B kb at 2bits.com
Sat Aug 12 19:16:18 UTC 2006

On 8/12/06, Carl Mc Dade <carl_mcdade at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I am curious about the requirement of being a contributor to get on the
> Services page of the Handbook. To quote:
>
> "This section lists some of the people and organizations providing
> Drupal-related services including design, installation, custom Drupal
> software development, training, support and consulting services.
> We only list individuals and companies that have contributed to Drupal."

> But there is nothing on what a contribution can be. Is it a judgement call or
> are there actually guidelines?

It is not something that can easily be measured, but easy to recognize.

Something that is considered tangible to the project and/or community.

> Does it have to be a core contribution?

No.

> do patches count?

Yes.

> third party modules?

Yes.

> patches to third party modules?

Yes.

> documentation?

Yes.

> finanancial?

Yes.

> handbook pages?

Yes.

One instance of one of the above is not  enough. How much is enough?
Not easy to tell, but easy to recognize.

> Should not the actual contribution to Drupal be listed on the description
> page of the company or individual?

It is up to the company/person to list their own contribution. It is fairly
easy to do so by linking  to the drupal.org people who constitute the
company. It is then easy for others to check the  CVS commits, track
posts, ...etc.