[development] What is a contribution?

Boris Mann boris at bryght.com
Sat Aug 12 19:10:02 UTC 2006

On 8/11/06, Carl Mc Dade <carl_mcdade at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I am curious about the requirement of being a contributor to get on the
> Services page of the Handbook. To quote:
>
> "This section lists some of the people and organizations providing
> Drupal-related services including design, installation, custom Drupal
> software development, training, support and consulting services. We only
> list individuals and companies that have contributed to Drupal."
> But there is nothing on what a contribution can be. Is it a judgement call
> or are there actually guidelines? Does it have to be a core contribution? do
> patches count? third party modules? patches to third party modules?
> documentation? finanancial? handbook pages?

It is a judgement call, and it is some combination of the above. One patch
might not be enough (i.e. I made this patch just to get on the list), but on
the other hand, if you signed up to the site, figured out the process for
adding a patch, and saw the patch through until it got committed to core

It's usually pretty easy to tell what a contribution is.

Should not the actual contribution to Drupal be listed on the description
> page of the company or individual?

Sure...it's a matter of being difficult to cover in many cases -- i.e.
captureing ALL the contributions of a particular individual/company (does me
writing this email to you count?). It's pretty easy to click on the user
account of a person, see how long they've been around, the list of CVS
comments, hit "track" and see discussions they've been involved in, etc.

Can someone not only answer these questions but also make the according
> changes to the page?

Probably better covered on in the Documentation list, in terms of
discussing/making written changes.

And my guess is that there probably isn't a lot of appetite for fiddling
with that page. Of course, you're welcome to suggest a re-write, file it as
a Documentation issue, and bring it up on docs.

--
Boris Mann
Vancouver 778-896-2747