[development] Where to find free icons?

Jeremy Epstein jazepstein at gmail.com
Sun Aug 13 14:32:50 UTC 2006

On 8/13/06, Gerhard Killesreiter <gerhard at killesreiter.de> wrote:
> Konstantin Käfer wrote:
> > There is definitely a need to rediscuss this issue. If we allow CC licenced
>
> We are not going to change the licensing policy of the cvs repos, Dries
> has made that clear in the past.

I agree with Konstantin - this issue needs to be rediscussed.

First of all, I think that there is a serious issue with our current
policy: the GPL is only designed to cover software, and it is a "hack"
to apply the GPL to anything other than software. Therefore, we really
need to update our licencing policy, to indicate that an alternative
license is to be used for all non-software material in contrib (i.e.
audio, video, images, text documents, etc).

The obvious choice for such a license is Creative Commons. Reasons for using CC:

- The entire Drupal handbook is already licensed under it
- It follows the spirit of the GPL (hey, there is even a "CC-GNU
GPL"), and it is generally considered to be the "non-software version"
of the GPL

Cheers,
Jaza.