[development] Where to find free icons?

Gerhard Killesreiter gerhard at killesreiter.de
Sun Aug 13 14:44:11 UTC 2006

Jeremy Epstein wrote:
> On 8/13/06, Gerhard Killesreiter <gerhard at killesreiter.de> wrote:
>> Konstantin Käfer wrote:
>> > There is definitely a need to rediscuss this issue. If we allow CC
>> licenced
>>
>> We are not going to change the licensing policy of the cvs repos, Dries
>> has made that clear in the past.
>
> I agree with Konstantin - this issue needs to be rediscussed.

Please try to see this from my pov as the contrib CVS maintainer: Every
other licence we allow will introduce more potential hassle. We already
have enough hassles with this as is, we don't need more.

There are GPLed icons available, so please use these.

If they aren't pretty enough, you are free to tell your users where they
can download alternative versions.

Actually, third party icons do fall under the "third party" clause which
says that third party material shouldn't be hosted in our cvs in the
first place. :p

Last week we've had the first time that somebody contacted use about a
legal issue concerning one of our modules. While the issue was easily
resolved, I don't really need more of this if it can be avoided. It is
just a waste of time.

> First of all, I think that there is a serious issue with our current
> policy: the GPL is only designed to cover software, and it is a "hack"
> to apply the GPL to anything other than software. Therefore, we really
> need to update our licencing policy, to indicate that an alternative
> license is to be used for all non-software material in contrib (i.e.
> audio, video, images, text documents, etc).

I am ok with changing the license for everything in docs/ if that is
what you want. The licence for modules, themes, etc will most likely not
change.

Cheers,
	Gerhard