[development] Where to find free icons?

Nedjo Rogers nedjo at islandnet.com
Sun Aug 13 22:19:10 UTC 2006

Separately downloading and installing each icon for each module is
prohibitively inefficient. Would we choose non-GPL feed icons for our core
distribution and instruct users to download the icons separately?

Our handbook instructs module developers to use Tango icons:

http://drupal.org/node/35416

noting however that we can't include them in CVS. We should instead choose a
GPL icon set and use that as our default.

Probably we need to either:
a. Choose a non-GPL standard set, e.g., Tango, and implement it through a
helper module so that users need to download the full set only once. Contrib
modules would do something like  theme('iconelement', '[iconname]') to
output an icon.
b. Choose a GPL icon set (and, possibly do the helper module approach too).
c. Put in place a technical solution that combines CVS code with externally
sourced files to create a single download, or

c. sounds difficult. Personally, I'm for b.

Here's another listing that includes several GPL sets, with preview samples:

http://www.maxpower.ca/free-icons/2006/03/05/