[development] Where to find free icons?

Neil Drumm drumm at delocalizedham.com
Mon Aug 14 02:01:32 UTC 2006

Nedjo Rogers wrote:
> Separately downloading and installing each icon for each module is
> prohibitively inefficient. Would we choose non-GPL feed icons for our
> core distribution and instruct users to download the icons separately?
>
> Our handbook instructs module developers to use Tango icons:
>
> http://drupal.org/node/35416
>
> noting however that we can't include them in CVS. We should instead
> choose a GPL icon set and use that as our default.

Separate installation of icons is a bad idea. Installing modules should
be easy and not require excessive downloading.

Not being able to include copylefted icons meant for open source
projects to use is ridiculous.

Yes, there are legal issues. From what I can tell, any downloads we
provide and websites made with those downloads would be considered
"collective works" and require attribution and a link to
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.5/. But I'm not a lawyer. I
do know a lawyer at the EFF.

I think we should:
1. Make it obvious what legal responsibilities the operators of
Drupal.org and individual contributors have over contributions.
2. Figure out common licensing issues so individual contributors don't
have to.
3. Continue to enforce GPL-only for code.

--
Neil Drumm
http://delocalizedham.com/