[development] Core scripts cleanup

Jeremy Epstein jazepstein at gmail.com
Mon Aug 14 13:06:08 UTC 2006

On 8/14/06, Neil Drumm <drumm at delocalizedham.com> wrote:
> For example, the only scripts I didn't mention were cron-*.sh. Those
> could be either put in snippets in the cron setup documentation or
> removed if something like poormanscron were in core.

Leave the cron-*.sh scripts in core, please. As you said, they are not
for developers only - they are useful for anyone setting up a site in
a production environment. Using those scripts (or writing/finding
equivalent ones) is the only way to reliably trigger cron at regular
intervals. Poormanscron is not a replacement for realunixcron, IMHO.
If we're going to put 'poormanscron' in core, then we shouldn't be
calling it cron in the first place, because there's no guarantee that
it will run regularly, in the ChRONological sense.

Personally, the combination of "cron-lynx.sh + cPanel cron manager"
has always allowed me to set up real cron jobs for my Drupal installs,
despite my having a very weak knowledge of Unix scripting. I'm sure
that there are other people in the same boat as me.

Cheers,
Jaza.