[development] Core scripts cleanup

Morbus Iff morbus at disobey.com
Mon Aug 14 14:00:08 UTC 2006

> Personally, the combination of "cron-lynx.sh + cPanel cron manager"
> has always allowed me to set up real cron jobs for my Drupal installs,
> despite my having a very weak knowledge of Unix scripting. I'm sure
> that there are other people in the same boat as me.

I have to go out on a limb here and say "irrelevant". There is
nothing different between telling cPanel to use this bit of text:

   0   *   *   *   *   /path/to/drupal/scripts/cron-curl.sh

vs. telling it to use this bit of text (in our INSTALL.txt).

  0   *   *   *   *   wget -O - -q http://www.example.com/cron.php

There are two factors:

  1) what "thing" to use to request the cron.php.
  2) what line of text to copy into whatever you admin with.

The first one requires an understanding of what "curl" or "wget" or
"lynx" is (which you have to admit to knowing, since we don't provide
any documentation in our scripts/ directory) and that can easily be
explained in our INSTALL.txt. The second doesn't require /understanding/
only /implementing/ and the primary differences in implementation relate
to your enactors ("crontab -e" vs. "cpanel") and time descriptors (like
the above, vs. a cPanel dropdown), NOT whether you blindly copy
"cron-curl.sh" vs. an equivalent line that has been provided for you.

As for Adrian's:

> One case for script/ that I can think of, and something
 > almost all of us would end up using almost daily:
> http://drupal.org/node/59863

I see that as a /cli.sh not as a /scripts/cli.sh. Much like index.php
starts us off for a webserver, cli.sh starts us off for a command line
interface to Drupal. Relegating this /really powerful feature/ off into
a mere script directory sells it quite short - we'd be insulting it's
potential for glue integration with any number of other applications.

--
Morbus Iff ( sleep breeds sanity )