[development] Re: InnoDB and accesslog/ watchdog

Gerhard Killesreiter gerhard at killesreiter.de
Tue Aug 15 13:00:31 UTC 2006

Dries Buytaert wrote:

> On 14 Aug 2006, at 18:46, Ken Rickard wrote:
>> For the record, we made the following tables InnoDB in Savannah:
>>
>> accesslog
>> cache
>> sessions
>> watchdog
>
> Why those?  How did you determine the set of tables?  You should focus
> on the tables where there is lock contention ... and where concurrency
> matters.

I can only guess why these tables were chosen: they have a lot of
writes. Locking would only be an issue for the cache table.

However, the tables can be subdivided again by tables which have a lot
of reads too:

sessions
cache

and those which are more or less write only:

watchdog
accesslog

For the latter I advocate my merge table patch at
http://drupal.org/node/78503

It would be nice if the postgresql people could investigate if this is
usefull for them too.

Some pointers I got in #postgresql:

Partioning:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/ddl-partitioning.html

Inheritance:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/ddl-inherit.html
http://www.varlena.com/varlena/GeneralBits/98.php

It would also be helpful if anybody could compare the use of InnoDB vs
my patch.

Cheers,
	Gerhard