[development] Re: InnoDB and accesslog/ watchdog

Dries Buytaert dries.buytaert at gmail.com
Tue Aug 15 21:43:23 UTC 2006

On 15 Aug 2006, at 15:00, Gerhard Killesreiter wrote:

> I can only guess why these tables were chosen: they have a lot of
> writes. Locking would only be an issue for the cache table.

And the variables table.

Modules that frequently use variable_get()/variable_set() to store
temporary results can bring your site to halt.  variable_set()
requires 4 SQL queries, and does a table lock that is likely to stall
other Apache clients.  :-)

> For the latter I advocate my merge table patch at http://drupal.org/
> node/78503

Did you actually benchmark that patch?

> It would also be helpful if anybody could compare the use of InnoDB
> vs my patch.

I compared a InnoDB with a MyISAM cache table and noticed little or
no performance gain.