[development] Drupal performance

Larry Garfield larry at garfieldtech.com
Tue Aug 15 23:05:28 UTC 2006

On Tue, August 15, 2006 4:36 pm, Dries Buytaert said:
> Hello world,
>
> recently I did some performance analysis of Drupal and compared it to
> Joomla.
>
>    http://buytaert.net/drupal-vs-joomla-performance
>
> Unfortunately, Drupal is quite slow when it comes to generating non-
> cached pages.  It would be great if we could focus some more on the
> performance of non-cached pages.  Why?  Because in practice, it is
> often a _lot_ more important than the performance of cached pages.
>
> I know there are some patches in the queue, and I know we talked
> about this a lot in the past.  I'll review, test and benchmark some
> of these patches ASAP.  There are also a number of ideas that haven't
> been implemented/tested yet.
>
> I hope that you will do the same, and that you continue to think (out
> of the box) with regard to Drupal's performance.
>
> Thanks,

Does anyone have a good profiling tool?  That could be very helpful in
figuring out where the slow spots are.  The only one I know of is Zend
Studio, which I use at work but is rather pricy for personal use. :-(
(And since my office is not a Drupal shop, they'd probably not let me do
any testing there.)

--Larry Garfield