[development] CVS HEAD, code freeze, zeitgeist
kb at 2bits.com
Fri Aug 18 01:06:25 UTC 2006
First off, I am all for a freeze on the planned date. We have enough features
and there is not much in the pipe line worth waiting for (unless Adrian comes
forward and says that his new themes engine 2 is ready, with all the
on the "too many files" issue there ...)
> that said, i have similar concerns with a lot of what ber raised.
> i've got 6 modules i personally maintain and there are about 4 others
> i've got commit access to and help out with. a few (dba and diff)
> still aren't ported to 4.7. it's going to be a lot of work to port
> the rest to HEAD. i've got tons of functionality i want to add to
> these modules, but i simply don't have the time to do it all, try to
> keep my eye on core development and help out where i can, be the
> resident CVS guru, *and* port all my modules to the latest core API
> every 3 months...
Let me offer some contrarian evidence to Derek and Ber.
Between me and Wafaa, we have 18 modules. All of them except one
(topic module) have 4.7 versions. Five of these modules were in
existence since 4.5. Two of them never had a 4.6 version (favorite
nodes and image watermark, for different reasons, the latter being
a recent addition, the former because I developed it for a client
in the pre-4.7 cycle).
Of the above, Wafaa owns one module (profile CSV), and has committed
to 7 others (not sure if these were ports to 4.7 or something else).
The majority of upgrades are either patches from other users of the modules,
or requests from clients for a 4.7. I could not have done all that without
users contributing patches, and clients paying for the time for others.
Some modules were updated because I needed them for my own sites
as well, so that is another factor.
All my sites have been upgraded from 4.6 to 4.7 as well, except for some
test and demo ones.
I am not doing any 4.6 work anymore, unless a client really really needs
More information about the development