[development] CVS HEAD, code freeze, zeitgeist

Dries Buytaert dries.buytaert at gmail.com
Fri Aug 18 21:27:15 UTC 2006

On 18 Aug 2006, at 22:50, Chris Johnson wrote:
> In fact, so much so, that thousands of people use and depend upon it.

> But it is an extremely complicated module that takes a long time to
> understand, so as the author I continue to maintain it and upgrade
> it, and do so with great care and speed.  More and more people use it.

Blessing your module with a "golden star" is not going to magically
cultivate the wilderness.  If you are the single maintainer, and you
happen to be a bottleneck (because you're having a sabbatical in the
Andes or simply because you have too much work), a golden star is not
going to magically upgrade your module nor is it going to send hordes
of developers to your patch queue.

No, that would be a crack dream. :)

What you need (and what you really want) is people that know your
module inside out (!), that share your vision for the module (!), and
that can help you maintain it (!).  If your module is that important,
it is your responsibility to build such team, to get people on board
and to delegate responsibilities by making other people co-
maintainers.  If you want to be a responsible maintainer, it's part
of the job description to find, motivate, guide and empower people to
take on a role within your project and to make it sustain.

I know because I learned to do exactly that.